Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Charlyboy can’t use me for Ritual – Naomi





Naomi Omozeyan is a young woman who has been under the tutelage of the Areafada for the past eight years. Recently, our correspondents ran into the disabled, yet able Naomi at the Areafada’s Office in Gwaranpa where she opened up on how the Areafada transformed her life despite the general notion that she may be used for ritual. The excerpt:



May I know you?
I am Naomi Omozeyan, I graduated from Delta state university Abraka. I read counseling psychology. Presently I work with NNPC, and by the grace of God, I will be wedding this month, my traditional marriage comes up 18th of August, 2012 and church wedding holds on 26th, at Abuja, here in Kubwa my wedding will hold. 



Why are you here?
 I am here because Charlyboy has been a father, a friend, confidence to me.  I see him as a role model because there is a kind of connection between us; the connection is that he has this mindset that is always positive. He believes that Nigeria can be better only with vibrant and determined people, irrespective of their background.  I equally believe that no matter who you are, no matter your background, no matter the circumstances, no matter where you are coming from, you will be successful with just determination.  This is in line with what he preaches, that where you are coming from does not determine where you are going to. You determine where you are going by the potentials borne inside you. That’s why I’m here. I also made a request from him on mobility; he is like a father to me, and someone I can call upon at any time. You can wake him up at anytime, and you know he has a passion. He has seen in me a force. As for me, I don’t like people looking down on me, I don’t like people pitying me because I don’t see anything that has deterred me in spite of my physical. He promised me a wheel chair to aid my mobility, so practically this morning, I am here for it. 



How did you meet the Area Father?
I attended a program where I spoke on mobility, accessibility with person’s disability into public office environment, and after I spoke, Charlyboy who was also at the event left the high table where he sat and came down to where I sat to congratulate me... You see, I like him because in spite of his status, he is very friendly and easy going. When I tell people I have a meeting with Charlyboy they say wao you mingle with celebrities? That is great. 



Is this the first time you are going to be assisted by the Areafada?
No, no, no, not at all, in 2010 we went for miss wheel chair Nigeria and I came to him that I was going for the contest and he asked how he could assist me. I requested for financial assistance, and I told him that he should be one of my sponsors. He agreed almost immediately, and gave me a huge sum of money for the contest.  It was the money that I used throughout the contest.
How old are you now?
 I will be 31by November



How did you secure a job with NNPC?
I served with NNPC and while I was still serving, I had told myself that I was going to work there after service. I wanted to be self reliant. I wanted to work in a place whereby I won’t be a beggar because the natural society wants people with disability to serve other people, knock at their doors and beg for daily food, but I told myself that, I don’t want to beg for daily food, I want something that will bring food to my table and my family for the rest of my life. I worked hard and I was given a contract work to do and I did it perfectly, so when recruitment came, I was recognized and got the job. 



Is there anything you have learnt from the Areafada, aside the similar drive in you both?
Yes, there is something he has always stood for since I met him “Don’t let your dream die, let no man kill your dream” and that is the passion inside of me, it is that driving force that has kept me going, because ordinarily, I would have been nothing. I know that there is a dream, I have a dream to become the first female president in Nigeria and Charlyboy keeps showing me the way. 


What do you have to say about Charlyboy’s enigmatic and conflicting personality?
Every human being has his or her own personality; it is just that the environment we live in sees things differently. Some ignorant people will tell me that Charlyboy will use me for ritual, and that he will sleep with me, but before God and man, he is not that kind of person. 



However, this is his nature, this is what he likes doing, forget that people often put up this holier than thou attitude. Deep within them, they are rotten. You should know that it is not all that glitters that is gold.   I really want Charlyboy to interact with the youth in my church. He is a role model, a good man doing his thing, his passion. The lord said “if any of you is spotless, let him cast the first stone? Forget them. I like people to do what they want as long as they are happy and. positive Charlyboy is just a style; what he does is his style. Everybody has his style and he has his style, his gift, so why would you condemn Charlyboy for having his own style. He has done so much for me, but the last that he will do for me is by attending my church wedding. He promised he will.





0 You can leave a comment here.: