Thursday, September 5, 2013

Eye Witness Account on Dawaki Police station and Maitama General Hospital, Abuja.(Why I hate the Police and General hospitals)




 It took me time to have realized myself after several months of reflection over an experience I would love to share with you today.

This story is based on an eyewitnesses account as I beg to narrate from the first person point of view just to vividly capture every scene as it unfolded. This happened on Sunday, the 24th of March, 2013.

In the most selfless journalistic instinct, when the news hit me around 11:15pm that fight had broken out at Pamadas Hotel, Dawaki- Abuja, just a stone throw from my house, I had thought it would serve as a meal for the media the next day, but my instinct failed me. It was a pathetic sight to behold when I got to the Hotel. I had learnt that the Hotel Manager and the DJ had engaged in a serious brawl. I wanted to know the extent of the fight, but no one in particular could give me the full gist.

 However, one thing was evident; Chairs were turned upside down, bottles were scattered everywhere, and blood stain was obviously noticed on the floor.

I could only mutter some words " I don't understand what has happened here". I mustered energy to probe further, "where is the Manager?" "He is outside" one of the Hotel attendants answered me coldly. While I was asking, the Manager was brought in on a motorcycle. He was almost blind as he sustained serious injury on his eyes. I can't find a suitable phrase to describe his state. He was bleeding profusely, blood gushing out of his swollen left eye. My conclusion was that he was never going to see again. I was angry, and upon enquiry, I was told that the DJ of the Hotel was the one who shattered some bottles on his face.

"All of a sudden, I saw myself on the floor. The only thing I could remember was when we were arguing over some money, and the first blow I received on my face. But after he shattered the bottle on my face, I fainted. When I was revived, I went to the police station, but unfortunately, I was told that there were no policemen on ground to get the DJ arrested, insisting that I should wait till the next day" the manager had narrated.

My respect for the Police diminished when we went back to the Dawaki Police post to have the victim's statement on the matter documented before we could proceed for treatment.

This was how it played out at the station: I approached a woman who claimed they were only two at the station. I remember vividly that it was exactly 11:30pm. This is exactly what I told her, "Madam; my friend was here few minutes ago, and was told he couldn't get a policeman to help arrest the person who assaulted him. However, I have come to appeal to you so we could have his statement documented against tomorrow, maybe by then, all your policemen would have returned from patrol as claimed" Even as I begged the woman, I could also see up to 2 other policemen who had claimed earlier that they were not stable, health wise.

With my soothing voice penetrating into the silence of the night, on the need to have the victim's statement documented,I pleaded, yet the woman retorted, " is that why he brought you here after we had told him that there are no policemen on ground" "No Ma" I replied. " His condition is critical and we must go through this legal documentation before we proceed for treatment. Please Madam help. " I begged. Are you teaching me my job? Are you crazy?" She threw those harsh words at me. " No..no...no.., sorry Ma. As you can see, if we don't attack this issue from this angle, this man may go blind and Justice delayed is justice denied" I lobbied. " "Na me do am. I send am go fight?" She attacked. "Madam, let's not talk about that aspect yet. Can you kindly help out by documenting this case? Consider this man to be one of your persons. It could be your brother or husband, you know" I stressed. " You are a useless man. How dare you compare this man to any of me. My friend! leave here before you complicate matters for yourself-idiot" She said ferociously.

Turning to the Policeman who sat by the other side of the wall, I said " Oga is there no way you people could help in this matter? He replied with all the police venom, " what statement? I said what statement are we supposed to write? If you don't want to leave here deformed, then better start going now" picks up his gun.

I wasn't scared of his AK-47 rifle. I wasn't scared at all. I would have waited for his accidental discharge, but I didn't need such trouble at that time, as someone was almost dying. I turned back almost immediately and we left DAWAKI police station.

When we got to Dawaki Clinic, the victim was quickly given some first Aid, but obviously, they couldn't handle the situation, as they immediately referred us to Gwarinpa  General Hospital where the eye could be treated better. This was around 12: 45am.

However, because Gwarinpa first gate had already been closed for the night as it was almost 1am, we had to drive straight to Maitama General hospital.

It was at the Maitama General hospital that I concluded that Policemen were good people after all.  That was after we could not get any reasonable attention from the nurses and doctors in the hospital.

When we arrived at the hospital, no one was at the counter. I had to force my way into where they were sleeping before I could talk to one of them.

However, I was told that they don't handle eye problems. The nurses who spoke to me had not even seen the patient that I took to the hospital yet. After much persuasion, they asked me to see a woman whom they claimed was in charge.

When I got to the woman's office, she directed me back to the nurses I met earlier, emphasising that it was their job to treat a hit on the eye. The back and front got out of hand, and as I was about to query their action, a man came out restlessly from one of the rooms, with blood all over his chest and his boxers. Behold, he was shot that night by some armed robbers at Mpape. He asked me to take whoever I brought to Maitama General hospital to another hospital before the person dies, as he had spent 3 hours in the hospital, yet no one could attend to him. He said he had not even been given an ordinary first Aid.

He then called on his people at the hospital to take him to another hospital before he dies. His people quickly rushed into the hospital, and took him away, as he continued to shout for help.

When we were leaving the hospital, about 3 other people followed us, complaining they would never take their wards to General Hospital again.

My problem at the moment is that everybody is complaining about the failed Nigeria system, yet nobody will accept responsibility.

Everybody is grumbling about the police system, even the police themselves, yet they have failed to realize that the Police as a body is made up of people. How would you reform a system when the people in that system have decided to hold on to their old system. How can you reform a system that appears rigid? How do you reform the Nigerian Hospitals without working on the nurses and Doctors themselves. My problem that fateful night was not about equipment, but purely administrative. It then means that for a system to become efficient, there should be an overhauling of inefficient staff.

I appeal to the Federal government for an immediate sack of the police woman who was on duty at the Dawaki Police station, by 11:30pm Sunday, 24th March, 2013 for an extreme act of job negligence and assault on a defenceless civilian.

I also appeal to the government to investigate the nurses who were on duty at the Maitama General Hospital by 3:30am Monday, 24th March, 2013, and possibly sack them for extreme negligence of duty.

We must not continue like this, enough is enough!



Blogger.
 

0 You can leave a comment here.: